Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Elsa, and other Disney princesses inspired countless LEGO sets released in the last ten years. Choosing the best LEGO Frozen set is a time-consuming task since there are so many models to choose from.
LEGO published the first set inspired by this animated movie in 2015, and shortly after, Frozen sets became an integral part of the brand’s product lineup. The company already announced the arrival of several new models in 2022, and more Frozen sets should become available by the end of the year.
In this article, I’ll walk you through the process of choosing the best LEGO Frozen set and recommend the models you can find online or in LEGO stores. Please take a moment to read our guide to the best LEGO Disney sets if you’d like to learn more about this LEGO theme.
At a Glance: The 10 Best LEGO Frozen Sets
|The Ice Castle 43197
|14 or older
|Elsa’s Wagon Carriage Adventure 41166
|Four or older
|Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Wonderland 43194
|Four or older
|Frozen Ice Castle 10899
|Two or older
|Elsa’s Jewelry Box Creation 41168
|Six or older
|Anna and Elsa’s Storybook Adventures 43175
|Five or older
|Elsa’s Castle Courtyard 43199
|Five or older
|Elsa and Olaf’s Tea Party 10920
|Two or older
|Elsa and The Nokk Storybook Adventures 43189
|Five or older
|Anna’s Castle Courtyard 43198
|Five or older
Bottom Line Up Front
The Ice Castle 43197 set is the best option for LEGO builders searching for the next construction project that will test their skills. On the other hand, a model like Elsa’s Jewelry Box Creation 41168 is an excellent choice for children without previous set-building experience.
Including all the Frozen models that deserve to be mentioned in the conversation about the best sets within this Disney subtheme wasn’t possible since so many models have plenty to offer to LEGO fans.
That’s why I had to use a variety of parameters that allowed me to shortlist the sets I included in this article. Let’s look at some of the key criteria I utilized to select the best LEGO Frozen sets.
I excluded all retired sets from this subtheme even though most online retailers have discontinued LEGO Frozen models in stock because they’re much more expensive than active sets. Hence, all sets in the final selection were released in the last few years.
Accessories and Minifigures
This criterion has allowed me to identify the models that offer a broad spectrum of play options. It also helped me choose the sets that enable children to recreate scenes from Frozen and Frozen II movies.
Our guide to the best LEGO Disney Castles can help you learn more about sets inspired by castles from different Disney movies.
The Overview of the Disney Theme
Initially, LEGO sets based on Disney princesses contained Duplo bricks, and they were designed for girls aged five or younger. In 2012, LEGO released four sets inspired by Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White, while two models published the following year were based on Ariel.
The Disney Princess theme that contained standard LEGO Systems parts was launched in 2014, while at the same time, the company continued releasing sets with Duplo pieces. LEGO rebranded the product line to LEGO Disney and introduced a new logo for the theme in 2017.
Subsequently, LEGO extended this theme to include sets based on other Disney princesses such as Ariel, Merida, or Rapunzel. Besides models inspired by Disney princesses, this theme also features sets based on classic Disney characters or movies like Toy Story and Encanto.
Check out our guide to the best LEGO Disney Minifigures for more information about the most valuable Minifigures in this theme.
A Brief History of LEGO Frozen Sets
The Elsa’s Sparkling Ice Castle 41062 was the first set based on the Frozen movie released within the Disney Princess theme. This 292-piece set contained almost all of the key characteristics of Frozen sets LEGO released in the subsequent years.
It featured the Ice Castle, sleigh, and ice hill elements, as well as the figures and mini-dolls of the film’s main characters. Anna and Elsa’s mini-dolls were similar to mini-dolls featured in LEGO sets from the Friends theme.
Even though the costumes of these figures evolved through the years, they still resemble those included in early LEGO Frozen sets. In addition, Olaf and Snowgie Minifigures that appear sporadically in sets from this subtheme haven’t changed much in the last seven years.
Most sets from this Disney subtheme have low piece counts, and The Ice Castle 43197 is the only active LEGO Frozen set with more than a thousand pieces. Please go through our guide to the best LEGO Jurassic World sets if you’re searching for the best set in this theme.
Retired LEGO Frozen Sets
The average shelf life of these sets varies from 11 months to more than three years. The Frozen Ice Castle 10899, released in 2019, is still in production, while the Enchanted Treehouse 41164, published at approximately the same time, is retired for more than a year.
You’re likely to encounter discontinued LEGO Frozen sets while shopping online since many retailers still have them in stock. However, these models might be used or cost several times more than the active LEGO frozen sets.
That’s why you should check the retailer’s reliability to avoid overpaying for a set that doesn’t have all pieces or the original packaging. Here are some of the best retired LEGO Frozen sets you can find online.
- Olaf 41169
- Anna’s Canoe Expedition 41165
- Elsa’s Magical Ice Palace 41148
- Arendelle Castle Village 41167
- Elsa’s Market Adventure 41155
Please browse through our guide to the best LEGO gifts to discover a perfect set for a LEGO fan.
LEGO Frozen Set for Preschoolers
You won’t have a lot of options at your disposal if you’re searching for a LEGO Frozen set designed for children under four. The LEGO Duplo theme has two active sets inspired by this movie, and you can opt for the Elsa and Olaf’s Tea Party 10920 or the Frozen Ice Castle 10899 model.
Luckily, retired LEGO Frozen sets designed for preschoolers are easy to find. Here are a few models that may attract your attention.
- Anna & Elsa’s Frozen Playground 10736
- Anna & Kristoff’s Sleigh Adventure 41066
- Anna’s Snow Adventure 41147
Keep in mind that some of these sets contain tiny pieces that are potentially dangerous for two-year-olds, and children in this age group shouldn’t use them unsupervised. Take a look at some of the best LEGO Play Table ideas if you’re looking for a functional LEGO play space solution.
The Key Factors to Consider While Choosing a LEGO Frozen Set
Active sets in this Disney subtheme have similar characteristics since nearly all models have fewer than 300 pieces, and they feature a handful of mini-dolls and figures.
I’ve listed several factors that can make the selection process easier, so let’s take a look at them.
- Which Frozen movie the LEGO set is based on? – Disney released two Frozen movies. So, models you’ll find in this subtheme are based either on the first Frozen movie released in 2013 or its sequel Frozen II that premiered in 2019.
- Piece count and age group – Taking these two parameters into account can help determine if a LEGO Frozen set is suitable for the child’s age and set-building experience. Nonetheless, checking the age group is only important if you’re looking for a set for toddlers.
- Accessories and mini-dolls – Children grow tired of sets that don’t offer various play options quickly. Hence, opting for a model with multiple mini-dolls and accessories ensures that children will enjoy playing with a Frozen set longer.
- Price range – LEGO Frozen sets aren’t expensive, and some models cost less than $10. However, the prices of these sets aren’t the same in all stores. Once you determine which Frozen set you’d like to get, you should compare its prices in different stores to find the most affordable option.
Top Ten LEGO Frozen Sets
The Ice Castle 43197
With 1,709 pieces, The Ice Castle 43197 is the biggest LEGO Frozen set ever released. The replica of the Arendelle castle is 25.5 inches tall and 13.5 inches wide. Kids can use this three-story model as a display piece or recreate scenes from the Frozen movies.
The incredibly rich interior includes a throne room, ice fountain, great hall, a balcony, and a grand staircase. The set also includes the pieces you’ll need to construct a ship in the bottle element, as well as four mini-dolls and four Snowgie figures.
- This set features a lot of accessories
- Olaf and Kristoff’s figures are included in the set
- Easy access to the castle’s interior
- It encourages imaginative play
- This is the most expensive set in the Frozen subtheme
- Assembly instructions can be misleading
Elsa’s Wagon Carriage Adventure 41166
Novice LEGO builders can benefit from getting the Elsa’s Wagon Carriage Adventure 41166 set because it can help them improve their set-building skills. This model contains just 116 pieces, and some of its elements are composed of LEGO Starter Bricks designed to simplify the assembly process.
Kids aged four or older can build Elsa’s wagon and use the harness element to attach it to the Sven figure. This set also contains the miniature stable component that is just two inches tall and three inches wide.
- Carrot, marshmallow, and cookie box are among accessories included in the set
- Intuitive building instructions
- Compatible with all LEGO Frozen sets
- Affordable price
- It includes just one mini-doll
- The set contains fragile tiny pieces
Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Wonderland 43194
Even though it has 154 pieces, the Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Wonderland 43194 offers plenty of play options. This set comes with the Ice Castle replica equipped with a rotating dancefloor and an ice cave element with a hidden chamber containing a treasure chest.
The frozen playground element has a seesaw that can accommodate two Snowgie figures. The set comes with Ana and Elsa mini-dolls accompanied by a bell jar, ice chair, and other accessories.
- This set contains Starter Bricks
- A perfect gift for preschoolers
- Children can develop different play scenarios
- The building instructions are available in the digital form
- The assembly process can be too simple for experienced LEGO builders
Frozen Ice Castle 10899
Even though it was released almost three years ago, the Frozen Ice Castle 10899 is still one of the best active LEGO Frozen sets for toddlers. This model contains Duplo bricks, and children aged two or older can play with them unsupervised.
The model of the Ice Castle is 11-inches tall, and it features decorative transparent ice bricks. Slide, table, and chair elements are also included in the set. Kids can use the switch on the multicolored light brick to illuminate the castle after assembling it.
- An excellent introduction to the LEGO world
- It helps children develop motor skills
- Elsa, Anna, and Olaf figures are included in the set
- The assembly process lasts less than thirty minutes
- This set is expensive
- Low piece count
Elsa’s Jewelry Box Creation 41168
Constructing Elsa’s Jewelry Box Creation 41168 set can be an overwhelming task for kids under six because the model of the jewelry box contains many details.
This 300-piece set lets children build a jewelry box equipped with a mirror and lockable drawer that is large enough to hold the LEGO ring pieces. The spinning function enables children to rotate the Elsa mini-doll and Nokk figures. This set doesn’t contain a lot of accessories.
- The set is compatible with all LEGO mini-dolls
- The jewelry box model is 9 inches tall
- It contains unique decorative pieces
- The drawer element is spacious
- A limited range of play options
Anna and Elsa’s Storybook Adventures 43175
Kids won’t need a lot of time to assemble the Anna and Elsa’s Storybook Adventures 43175 set. This unique Frozen model is designed as an opening book with two segments, while the Arendelle castle is located in the middle.
One side of the book depicts the courtyard of the Arendelle castle, and it contains bridge and sleigh elements. The other side of the book is inspired by the castle’s interior. It features a bedroom segment and a piano element.
Olaf, Elsa, Kristoff, and Anna figures are included in the set. However, this model doesn’t have Snowgie figures, and it has a handful of accessories.
- It encourages collaborative play
- The set is easily portable
- Straightforward assembly process
- It doesn’t contain fragile pieces
- This set might be retired soon
Elsa’s Castle Courtyard 43199
The Elsa’s Castle Courtyard 43199 is one of the most recent additions to the LEGO Frozen subtheme. The set has 53 pieces, and it is a perfect fit for young fans of Disney’s Frozen movies who never owned a LEGO set before.
Assembling this set isn’t a time-consuming task, which enables children to focus on exploring different play options. The model of the ice fountain has a snowflake element at the top, but it doesn’t contain a lot of details.
The Elsa mini-doll has a unique diamond dress that doubles as storage space for the figure when the set isn’t in use.
- A quick and easy assembly process
- Compatible with other LEGO sets inspired by Disney princesses
- Elsa mini-figure has a diamond dress
- This set is inexpensive
- Low piece count
Elsa and Olaf’s Tea Party 10920
Young fans of the Frozen 2 movie will love to play with the Elsa and Olaf’s Tea Party 10920 set that contains Duplo bricks. This set has 17 pieces, and children aged two or older can assemble it in less than ten minutes.
The model of the ice house is 3 inches tall, but it is wide enough to accommodate the teapot accessory. Table, chair, and plate elements are included in the set, as well as cake, hot chocolate, and other accessories.
- It helps children develop creative, spatial, and motor skills
- This set doesn’t contain tiny pieces
- It comes with fun accessories
- The ice house model is easy to build
- Children outgrow this set quickly
Elsa and The Nokk Storybook Adventures 43189
Earth Giant, Olaf, Elsa, and Nokk are the characters from the Frozen movie included in the Elsa and The Nokk Storybook Adventures 34189 set. The set’s elements are located inside an opening book that provides children with an ad-hoc play space wherever they go.
Centrally positioned, Arendelle castle has a drawbridge connecting it to the Enchanted Forest and keeping it’s interior safe. This set contains stickers and other decorative elements.
- It’s compatible with other LEGO Storybook sets
- The set contains figures of four Frozen characters
- It can keep kids occupied during long car rides
- The set has a canoe element
- The set isn’t sturdy, and it’s difficult to keep it closed
- It can be underwhelming for Frozen fans aged seven or older
Anna’s Castle Courtyard 43198
You should consider getting a set like the Anna’s Castle Courtyard 43198 if you’re looking for a small and inexpensive LEGO Frozen set. This model has 74 pieces, and it lets children recreate the courtyard of the Arendelle castle along with the iconic frozen fountain.
The Anna mini-doll has a diamond dress that combines with the fountain base to create a storage space for the mini-doll. In addition, this set is compatible with the Elsa’s Castle Courtyard 43199, and you can combine them to extend the range of play options they offer.
- A simple and inexpensive set
- It doesn’t require previous set-building experience
- The set contains Bruni the Salamander figure
- The Anna mini-doll has a unique diamond dress
- It doesn’t include a lot of accessories
Frequently Asked Questions About LEGO Frozen Sets
Question: Are LEGO Frozen mini-dolls collectible?
Answer: Yes, some mini-dolls included in LEGO Frozen sets are collectible.
Question: How many Frozen 2 sets did LEGO Release?
Answer: So far, LEGO has published more than ten sets inspired by the Frozen 2 movie.
Question: Are LEGO Frozen Sets Durable?
Answer: Yes, most models are durable, but some sets contain pieces and elements that can be damaged easily.
Question: Where can I find retired LEGO Frozen Sets?
Answer: Most online retailers have retired, and active LEGO Frozen sets in stock.
My Verdict: Which LEGO Frozen Set is the Best
Like most LEGO sets inspired by Disney princesses, Frozen sets are designed for young LEGO fans who don’t have a lot of previous set-building experience. Most models have similar features as they allow kids to build replicas of the Arendelle castle and its courtyard.
In my opinion, The Ice Castle 43197 is the best set for teenage or adult LEGO builders who won’t be overwhelmed by its high piece count.
I recommend opting for models like Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Wonderland 43194 or Elsa and Olaf’s Tea Party 10920 if you’re looking for a set suitable for a first-time LEGO builder. Which LEGO Frozen set are you going to choose?
Let me know in the comments or continue reading our guide to the best LEGO Captain America sets if you’d like to learn more about models inspired by this Marvel superhero.